Come and join us for a concert in aid of Brighter Berkshire
Reading Phoenix Choir are delighted to be singing a concert at St Laurence Church, Reading in aid of Brighter Berkshire.
Brighter Berkshire is a community led initiative which aims to help reduce stigma about mental health and improve local opportunities.
Their aims are to make a long term difference to mental health in our community through:
- Building the largest countywide network of diverse people, ideas and voluntary commitment to come together to improve mental health.
- Demonstrating that by coming together as a local community, we can all improve mental health and wellbeing of our population.
- Developing a central online place for anyone in Berkshire to connect on mental health and wellbeing.
This fantastic charity concert will take place at St Laurence Church; a wonderful twelfth century church building that is a pleasure to sing in and is right in the heart of Reading, next to the Town Hall.
The concert will cover a wide variety of our current repertoire, including a selection from Howell’s Requiem and Rachmaninov’s Vespers, through various madrigals and folk songs, to finish with some more ‘popular’ pieces by Queen and David Bowie (see below for details). There’s always something for everyone!
If you’ve never heard the choir before, then be prepared to be blown away by our quality and love of music-making. We sing predominantly unaccompanied and perform everything entirely from memory, allowing a real connection with the audience.
The Henley Standard has previously said that our ‘singing is beautiful and faultless’, while judges from the Choir of the Year described it as a ‘great, warm sound, very precise and well focused’ and ‘full of vitality – I love the richness and verve of the performance’.
Where: St Laurence Church, Friar Street, Reading RG1 1DA
When: Saturday 21st October, 7:30pm
Tickets: £10 | £5 for under 16s are available via our tickets page
Programme: The expected programme is as follows:
- Priditye Poklonimsya | Rachmaninov
- Salvator Mundi | Howells
- Laudate Omnes Gentes | Victoria
- Loquebantur Variis | Tallis
- Crucifixus a 8 | Lotti
- Requiem Aeterna | Howells
- Kyrie (Mass in Eb) | Reinberger
- Bogoroditse Dievo | Rachmaninov
- Wie Lieblich Sind | Brahms
- I Heard a Voice from Heaven | Howells
- Jerusalem | Parry
- Light of my Soul | Pearsall
- My Sprit Sang all Day | Finzi
- Ca the Yowes | Trad, arr. Vaughan Williams
- Audience workshop
- I’m Beginning to See the Light | Ellington, arr. Rice
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love | Mercury, arr. Hann
- Life on Mars | Bowie, arr. At My Desk Music
- Chile Con Carne | Endenroth